My father called me with a question.
– Do you know what the coldest place on Earth is? – He asked.
– 3rd floor of my house, – I responded trying to squeeze the phone against my shoulder so I can put my hands between my thighs to warm them up a bit. Whole day video cutting left me cold-handed and cold-nosed.
– Come on! You live in Shanghai. It isn’t the coldest place on Earth. The coldest place on Earth is called Oymyakon.
– Sounds like name of my village in Chinese, – I chuckle, – almost.
– Oymyakon is a village indeed, but not in China. It is a place two-day drive from Yakutsk, Russia. Winter temperatures in Oymyakon, Russia, average minus 50 C (minus 58 F). The remote village is generally considered the coldest inhabited area on Earth.
– Are you by any chance quoting Wikipedia?
– No, some other page which ranks high on “coldest place on Earth” key word.
– 50 C sounds like craCy. – I rap back, while shivering. How do they handle?
– I guess they accustomed to such low temperatures. Inside of public buildings, like schools temperature is +12 C. Students don’t take off their coats. This is how they handle.
– +12C, – I sigh. My cold numb fingers are searching for a little black thermometer I keep at my working table. Ah, here it is, what is the temperature? Oh boy. I don’t know about Oymyakon, but my indoor temperature Shanghai South is +11 C.
I used to live I very cold places, however handling Shanghai winter remains a challenge. Because of total absence of central heating, and general fetish among house owners for single glass windows.
Getting back into my exercise routine is somewhat slow because of this cold. But guess what routine part experienced extreme revival? Steam Sauna! I have thrown away the little chair inside, put a mat on the ground and now I am going in full body, head included for 30 min straight! This is really great!
Lemon-ginger tea is also accepted by my routine refusing mind. Single ingredient diet is doing well as well. Now the next step would be to go rope jumping at 6 pm straight after work. Can’t jump any later because it gets colder by the hour and starting with 8 pm the only thing my body is willing to accept is sauna.
Once daily jumping is back, I will trick myself into morning meditation followed by yoga or stretch. I am in my bed now. Aircon is set to +28. Does it make any difference? Nee. I think it is still around +12 C inside. My fingers typing the post are freezing. I type with one hand. Everything else is under 3 thick blankets. 🙂 Good night!